The Ordeal of the Purple Broccoli

Last Autumn the broccoli plants were falling over each other and looked unlikely to produce anything come Spring. Perhaps it was the Autumn blues. Feeling sorry for the birds that wouldn't have anything fresh or green to eat all the long season of festive gloom, I decided to sacrifice the brassicas. And so the leaves were stripped, the plants bereft. Then suddenly, last month, there were hints of purple that began to be nibbled immediately by the winged pests. The neighbours were already harvesting purple-jewelled beauties. So I netted the broccoli plants. And... here is my first harvest. Tender, so succulent, I was tempted to eat them raw even as I cut through the stems. I wonder if the harvest would be better and/or earlier if the birds hadn't stripped the leaves.


Comments

Popular Posts